Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Justin, I am still waiting....


John 10:17-18 "The reason my father loves me is that I lay down my life - only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my father."

I have been thinking about these words for a couple of years now. They are striking words. One aspect of it that I keep coming back to is the idea that Jesus laid down his life willingly. The people who conspired against Jesus and killed him, surely believed that they were taking something from Jesus. That they killed him. Here Jesus seems to be saying that no one can take what has already willingly given. There is something about this that reaches me. Certainly I have taken advantage of Jesus haven't I? I have known the good to do, and yet did not do it figuring that Jesus had me covered by his death and resurrection - and taking advantage of Jesus and his good grace. Yet no matter how much I try to take advantage of Jesus and his grace, I can't because it is freely given. I have been wondering about this concept and its truth. It seems to make sense of what John is trying to communicate. But I am not entirely sure.

After watching this movie, Ushpizin, the thoughts came back again. The Jewish couple in their sukka, offering hospitality to very bad guests, at first did it begrudgingly, and they felt taken advantage of - then when their guests came back the second time, they couldn't thank HaShem enough for allowing them another opportunity to be Abraham to these terrible guests. And when their guests were obviously trying to take advantage of them, in over the top ways, it did not work - because their graciousness was freely given.

I wonder if this is how genuine hospitality works. When genuine hospitality is given, truly as a gift, then the host cannot be take advantage of; it is all gift. On the other hand, it if is not a gift, then the guests can fail their hosts evaluation at every possible turn.

by the way, I highly recommend this movie, Ushpizin. I would even be willing to host people here again to watch it.

No comments: