Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election is OVER

I can appreciate those who commented on my post that mentioned Obama. There are certainly differing views, politically about how to create a just society. However, I have now deleted from my previous post the paragraph that mentions Obama. I encourage people to read the post a second time without Obama verses McCain clouding the issues about which I wrote.

If what McLaren writes is a correct analysis, then Christians have a great many changes to make in their private and corporate lives. Or is McLaren off the mark?

1 comment:

Justin said...

This 1 Corinthians passage is something really struck me in response to the McLaren quote.
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

We can help the poor we can help the oppressed but if we do not have love in doing those things we gain nothing. I think too many times we do things because we feel that is what we are supposed to do as Christians not because that is what comes out of us because we love God. Through being close to God by reading the scriptures many things in my life are starting to happen not because I feel like I have to, but because I want to.
How do we as a group or as individuals start to model what this looks like to others? How do we do things not through organizations but everyday in every encounter we have with others?
I know love gets thrown around in this day and age and the definition is somewhat skewed. But we as Christians need to change that. So if we can just stop fighting the individual symptoms and recognize that what our world needs is Love modeled after Christ. We help the lost because we love them, we help the poor because we love them, we help the sick because we love them. Lets start loving Christ and others and that should rid us of consumerism, greed, fear, violence, and misplaced faith that McLaren states. Because if we truly love others we want the best for them.